Friday, January 8, 2010

Food Journey Friday returns!

What a slacker I have been! What with the holidays and traveling, I haven't just fallen off the wagon... the wagon is nowhere in sight!



But alas, a new year brings a new start. So if you, too, have fallen off the wagon (or have lost sight of it), join me as we continue on this journey towards better care for our bodies.



Hippie has been blowing me away with her posts lately. I am so inspired by her love for God's creations in the realm of food. I can tell that I have muuuch to learn, but I am confident that this year will mark a great improvement in my food world.



************



Now, I think Hippie is right that we need to have a Scriptural foundation for our journey. Otherwise, when it gets difficult or inconvenient to eat healthfully, we will have no reason to keep with it. When I think about the Bible's stand on healthy living, this verse always springs to mind:



"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?" 1 Corinthians 6:19



This verse easily applies to any aspect of caring for our bodies. It is specifically addressing immorality, but surely it is helpful for our food journey. I must embrace the truth of the Holy Spirit living in me, and I must act accordingly!

Another passage I came accross when looking into healthy eating was the beginning of the book of Daniel. Take a look if you are interested! Basically, Daniel and his friends prove that the Hebrew diet ("God's way") is more beneficial and more strengthening than the diet offered by the Babylonian king.

Another verse that came to mind: "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Come to me and eat what is good and delight yourself in abundance." Isaiah 55:2

And this will likely be sufficient for today's food for thought. This brings much conviction to both physical and spiritual matters. How often do I seek satisfaction in things that simply WILL NOT SATISFY? Junk food holds no true nourishment, nor does it ultimately satisfy. Hence why when I start eating it, I can't ever stop. Sin is the same way. I often seek such fulfillment in sin, stupidly believing it will bring joy that God can not supply. Foolishness.

God's way is best in all matters. I say I believe this. But am I willing to submit to his ways in the world of food?

*****

I return home next week after my long and wonderful winter vacation. I return to my daily activities: to cooking, cleaning, and being a keeper-at-home. I am excited about the food journey that stands before me. Intimidated? Definitely. But I believe that God's way is best, and I'm determined to submit to His way and see what happens. I believe 2010 is going to be a great year for change. A great year to put God's ways to the test and watch eagerly for what He'll do. Yes, even in the realm of healthy eating!


Rich and fulfilling blessings of Christ be yours,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment